"Wordsmith" and "Turtles" Rhyme and I Refuse to Hear Otherwise

An accurate representation of me trying to come up with a name for my blog
I don't know whether you've ever tried to come up with the name for a blog before but it's remarkably difficult. You want it to be a blend of clever and funny but also has to let the reader know the type of content you are going to have. It is essentially a first impression and since I was about six people who seem intelligent have been constantly telling me how important first impressions are.
Whilst trying to come up with a name, I googled all sorts of things. My starting point was literature. If I could combine a classic literature title with something related to me and the type of things I plan on writing about then that would be perfect. My first thought was Lonely Dick (an obvious pun based around the book which I think has something to do with a really big whale but bar that I know literally nothing about). Not particularly clever or original, and also rather sad, but a start nevertheless. My next thought was to come up with a pun based around The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, since I feel starting the title of your blog with "The Adventures of..." makes it sound infinitely more exciting. The problem there was trying to find a word that rhymed with "Huckleberry".  Seriously Mark Twain? Seems a little selfish when you could have used 'strawberry' or 'blueberry', but oh no, had to step on the little guy like me and use the word 'huckleberry'.

I did stumble across an absolutely perfect title that was also the name of a famous piece of literature, The Diary of a Nobody, which in all seriousness would be a really cool name for a blog. The only problem is prior to today I had never even heard of it, so to name my entire blog after it would seem rather disingenuous. Also, I imagine there is already a thousand blogs with that exact name, as it is almost too perfect. Even if that was not the case though, naming my blog that makes it sound like I am going to be writing deep and thought provoking posts, when in reality it is predominantly going to be complaining about things that do not matter in the slightest.

In hindsight, I should have considered The Catcher in the Rye as that feels really easy to turn into a relevant pun, and is a book I've actually read. See Mark Twain, that is how you come up with the name for a book. 'Catcher' and 'rye' seem to have a million words that rhyme with them. I'm not going to actually think of any examples though because if I do there is a very high possibility I will come up with a better name for my blog than the one I currently have, and changing the URL and everything is destined to be an absolute ball ache. I have made my bed and I will lie it.

Unfortunately this is one of those stories that has a really disappointing ending because by clicking on this article you already know the name of my blog and the end of the story. I realised 'Teenage Student' rhymes with 'Teenage Mutant' and then I fudged the final two words because I was bored and knew that the longer I thought about it the worse the name would become and in all seriousness, the name I had was bad enough already.

And thus I reached my destination... Teenage Student Whinger Wordsmith 

Comments